We are excited to announce the DIBA Award Books for 2020
Created by author Melissa Stewart, the 5 Kinds of Nonfiction classification system helps librarians expand and balance their nonfiction collection to provide a broad array of titles that appeal to different types of readers. It also helps students select books they like, predict the type of information they will find in a book, and use the books for specific purposes.
It also helps students select books they like, predict the type of information they will find in a book, and use the books for specific purposes.
Click here or access the flyer below to learn more about this approach to classifying Nonfiction books.
The Dulwich Information Book Award was initiated in 2016 - 17 by library staff across the Dulwich network. Our ongoing aim is to highlight good quality nonfiction books in both English and Mandarin and promote them across our schools. The intention of the award is to encourage wider reading and provide a focus for a critical evaluation of content and design.
Please add titles here for the 2020 award.
Dulwich Information Book Award Timeline
- Appeal for longlist to DCI teachers/staff/librarians/students/parents - nominations requested in April
- Shortlisting early May by teacher librarians, students and teachers in all participating Colleges
- Introduction of books and related activities from mid-September
- Vote and results announced across network in Non Fiction November
- Authors notified if their book wins
Dulwich Information Book Award notes
- The award runs across 3 age ranges (DUCKS, Junior and Senior)
- Mandarin and English books can be selected
- Non-fiction to tie-in with National Non-fiction November
- 6 titles maximum shortlisted in each age range
Criteria for choosing books
- Must be able to view prior to (from libraries, bookshops and so on) or we will need to ask a recommender to submit a book
- Excludes textbooks
- Aesthetics (including design, style, and integration of text and graphics in the book)
- Accurate and up-to-date
- Appropriate for Second Language
- Available from our suppliers
- ISBN and authenticity verified
- Published in the last 3 years
- Nominations not accepted from publishers at this stage